News & Features Home

What Kind of Home Coverage Do You Really Need?

What Kind of Home Coverage Do You Really Need?

How much coverage you need depends on what type of housing you have, your budget, and what you’re protecting. Nothing can help you nail down your options better than talking with an agent who knows your area and Virginia insurance. He or she can walk you through the right questions to assess how much liability coverage versus personal property coverage you need and more.

If you want a quick overview before calling an agent, here’s what you should know.

Homeowners insurance policies in Virginia fall roughly in three categories: named peril, open peril, or a combination of the two. Named peril policies cover only what is specifically mentioned in the policy, but the list is pretty extensive and cover the most common issues. Open peril policies are the reverse—they exclude only specifically named causes and issues. (Flood and earthquake coverage are not standard in either category.)

So what’s covered in a Named Peril policy? Quite a bit, including damage caused by the following:

  • Wind, lightning, and hail 

  • Explosions 

  • Vehicle or aircraft damage to your property 

  • Smoke 

  • Vandalism and malicious mischief 

  • Glass breaking 

  • Theft 

  • The weight of ice, snow, and sleet, building collapse 

  • Sudden and accidental damage from hot water heating systems 

  • Frozen plumbing and heating 
It will also cover additional living expenses if you have to move out while your house is being repaired. 

You can learn about the categories and combinations in detail in the Virginia SCC’s Homeowners Insurance Guide.